Aug 6, 2011

Gaming Grub: Dad's Pepper Dish


photography by Dylan Hartwell

This is one of my favorite meals this time of year and is well received by my regular gaming group. My dad created this dish and I have been making it for several years. I typically make it several times a year as banana peppers and potatoes come into season in my garden. It is hearty, full of flavor, and neatly eaten out of a bowl, making it an excellent dish for game night.

Ingredients

3 pounds red skinned potatoes
1/2 pound bacon
15-20 large banana peppers

Directions
Cut bacon into 2 inch pieces and cook in skillet with lid on at medium heat.
Cut potatoes into 1/2 inch wedges and place in skillet with bacon, allow to cook for 15 minutes.
Remove caps and seeds of banana peppers, cut into 2 inch rings, add to skillet, allow to cook for 15-25 minutes until banana peppers cook down.

Salt and pepper to taste and serve hot with cold Guinness.

3 comments:

  1. I did a few posts on gaming grub. Glad to see I'm not alone. I love to see new recipes. This sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound tasty, and quite easy to make. It's going on the list of "recipes to try." Of course it helps that you're pairing it with the BEST BEER EVER!

    Our main-stays for evening adventuring have been a spicy rigatoni with sausage, a vegetarian lasagna (which I thought I was going to hate, but now it's become one of my favorite recipes, for the main reason that the vegetables are cooked BEFORE making the lasagna, so it doesn't get watery, and it also doesn't use ricotta cheese), and several times we've done a "burger bar" with fixings to choose from like candied bacon, carmelized onions, blue cheese, arugula, sauteed mushrooms, aged cheddar, and of course the basics like tomato and stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a detailed review of this awesome dish, check out:

    http://carterscartopia.blogspot.com/2011/08/review-digital-orcs-dads-pepper-dish.html

    Or just make it yourself. It is superlative.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for posting to the Digital Orc! Be sure to pick up a copy of one of my old-school modules available at RPGNow.com!