Oct 29, 2011

D&D Biome-Based Encounter Table: Urban Encounters


4D10
URBAN ENCOUNTERS
4
Chimera
5
Djinni
6
Spectre
7
Cockatrice
8
Statue, Animated Iron
9
Gargoyle
10
Statue, Animated Crystal
11
Horse, Draft
12
Undead
13
Shadow
14
Ghoul
15
Bat, Giant
16
Rot Grub
17
Men, Nomad
18
Men, Brigand
19
Halfling
20
Ferret, Giant
21
Bat, Normal
22
Rat, Ordinary
23
Dwarf
24
Gnome
25
Men, Berserker
26
Men, Merchant
27
Pixie
28
Skeleton
29
Fly, Giant Carnivorous
30
Mule
31
Zombie
32
Bugbear
33
Lycanthrope, Wererat
34
Wight
35
Medusa
36
Wraith
37
Statue, Animated Stone
38
Troll
39
Vampire
40
Demon Boar



First, I organized all my D&D creatures into a spreadsheet including Hit Dice (HD) and Biome data.

Second, I sorted the data by the particular biome for which I wanted to create a table.

Third, I counted the number of different creatures and looked for that number on this table.  If the number was present, I used that dice combination for my table.  If the number was not present, I went to the next highest number of dice combination.

Fourth, I sorted just the monsters for that particular biome (see second step) by HD.

Fifth, I put the monsters into the table starting with the lowest HD on the median outcome, then distributing them out to the maximum and minimum using this method.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting to the Digital Orc! Be sure to pick up a copy of one of my old-school modules available at RPGNow.com!