Feb 4, 2013

Gencon 2013: Yes or No?

My friend and Gamer Master for the Dark Heresy game in which I've played for several years invited me to Gencon 2013.  He procured a downtown hotel and offered to split the cost with me and the other two guys that are likely to attend.  As much as I love Gencon, and despite the fun time I had running Pilz last year, I'm very reluctant to go because of the costs.

Last year I had some good times, but at a whopping $200 dollars each night, even split between a few snoring guys, it can quickly add up over a long weekend.  The gas, parking, and badge costs will push my total into several hundred dollars.  Hitting the bars (Twisted Kilt was my favorite) is something I do at home normally, but downtime prices are sometimes excessive.  The lines and crowd, also, are factors that weigh heavily in making a Gencon 2013 decision.  And these costs are even before my many impulse purchases that are sure to happen!

So, I probably won't attend this year.  That four or five-hundred dollars could be much better spent on RPGNow or eBay.  But not Kickstarter, I'm done with that for now.

5 comments:

  1. Yup, I'm bowing out of Gencon for 2013 too. My "big con" will be Gary Con in March, then I'll hit the cons within driving range in Ohio - Origins, Con on the Cob, maybe one or two in Michigan. You should do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm planning on doing Origins because, A: It's close, and B: As a teacher I get in cheap. Are you running Thundar at Origins? I (obviously) haven't checked their website lately. When is open registration?

      Delete
  2. I have no info on Origins at this time. I need to see what's going on. Will probably run Mutant Future and, yes, Thundarr as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to Origins a couple years ago and had a great time. Even got to play some T&T with Ken St. Andre. Very cool. I'd love to go to Gen Con, but for the same reasons you site are the same I won't go. Much rather spend it on stuff. But still, going to more local cons would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the last origins I went to was 97 when Bruce Campbell was the VIP.

      Delete

Thanks for posting to the Digital Orc! Be sure to pick up a copy of one of my old-school modules available at RPGNow.com!